Small support grants ($500 - $1500) to individual feminist women in the arts who are citizens with primary residence in the US and Canada.
Applications from women artists and writers (cis and transgender) who:
- Exhibit high quality and originality in their work.
- Use feminism as their central interpretive lens.
- Value both personal and political changes that stand against the limitations and controls exerted against women while aiming at optimum freedom and agency for women.
- Validate differences that overlap with gender such as race, ethnicity, and class.
- Express an inclusive vision of social justice while focusing on justice for women.
WE ARE INTERESTED IN
Funding projects which you have begun or are well underway, and for which you have substantial work to show. Please take time to carefully read the guidelines and application form on Submittable.
WE DO NOT AWARD
Film, video, theatre, dance, music, or performance projects. Scripts and musical compositions are also not eligible. We do not award work which is or will be self-published. We do not give loans or provide money for educational assistance, work on dissertations, or research (except research to be used in writing a book). We do not provide funds for the cost of editing services, business projects, or emergency money for people in need. We rarely give money to groups.
Former grantees must wait three years before reapplying.
MATERIALS FOR YOUR APPLICATION
The application cycle begins January 1 and ends January 31 annually.
Below are the materials you will need to submit:
- Project description (max. 400 words)
- Description explaining why you are applying to a feminist fund (max. 100 words)
- Resume (max. 2 pages)
- Project Samples
Project Samples by Category:
Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction - Submit 10-15 pages, using 12-point type. Please paginate and include your name and project title in the top right corner of each page. Double-space for fiction and nonfiction submissions.
Mixed Genre (graphic and visual art with text) - Text and illustrations must be formatted or scanned and submitted in a single PDF document with a 15-page maximum, 10-page minimum.
Visual Art - Submit 4 work samples in JPEG format and a list of the images (PDF) including file name, title, size, medium, and date.
- JPEG image specifications: Each JPEG may be no larger than 1600 pixels in any direction. The image resolution must be between 72 and 100 dpi. Each file must be less than 1MB and labeled with the applicant’s last name followed by a period, first initial, underscore, and number, for example SMITH.J_1.JPG, SMITH.J_2.JPG.
DEADLINES (you may apply in only one genre)
January 1 - January 31, 2022, for Visual Art, Fiction, and Mixed Genre. All applications accepted via Submittable. Please click the link below to submit to our online application. These applications have a $25 fee, payable by credit card or PayPal.
January 1 - January 31, 2023, for Nonfiction and Poetry. All applications accepted via Submittable. Please click the link below to submit to our online application. These applications have a $25 fee, payable by credit card or PayPal.
Applicants will be notified about grant decisions approximately five months after the deadline date.
Please note that as of 2015, we no longer accept snail mail applications, only online applications via Submittable. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you'll grow with us as we move toward a more sustainable application process for all. Good luck! We're excited to read your work.
Link to the Money for Women submission manager:
Links go live at 12:00am EST on January 1 and close at 11:59pm EST on January 31.
Everything you need to know to apply is listed above.