Support grants ($500 - $2000) to individual feminist women in the arts with primary residence in the US and Canada.
Applications from women artists and writers (cis and transgender) who:
- Exhibit high quality and originality in their work.
- Use feminism as their central interpretive lens.
- Value both personal and political changes that promote freedom and agency for women.
- Validate differences that intersect with gender such as race, ethnicity, and class.
- Express an inclusive vision of social justice while focusing on justice for women.
WE ARE INTERESTED IN
Projects that are well underway and for which you have substantial work to show. Translation projects are eligible. Please take time to carefully read the guidelines and application form on Submittable.
WE DO NOT AWARD
Film, video, theatre, dance, music, or performance projects. Scripts and musical compositions are also not eligible. We do not award work which is or will be self-published. We do not give loans or provide money for educational assistance, work on dissertations, or research (except research to be used in writing a book). We do not provide funds for the cost of editing services, business projects, or emergency money for people in need. We rarely give money to groups.
Former grantees must wait three years before reapplying.
MATERIALS FOR YOUR APPLICATION
The application cycle begins January 1 and ends January 31 annually.
Below are the materials you will need to submit:
- Project description (max. 400 words)
- Description explaining why you are applying to a feminist fund (max. 100 words)
- Resume (max. 2 pages)
- Project Samples
Project Samples by Category:
Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction - Submit 10-15 pages, using 12-point type. Please paginate and include your name and project title in the top right corner of each page. Double-space for fiction and nonfiction submissions.
Visual Art - Submit 4 work samples in JPEG format and a list of the images (PDF) including file name, title, size, medium, and date.
- JPEG image specifications: Each JPEG may be no larger than 1600 pixels in any direction. The image resolution must be between 72 and 100 dpi. Each file must be less than 1MB and labeled with the applicant’s last name followed by a period, first initial, underscore, and number, for example SMITH.J_1.JPG, SMITH.J_2.JPG.
DEADLINES (you may apply in only one genre)
January 1 - January 31, 2023, for Nonfiction and Poetry. All applications accepted via Submittable. Please click the link below to submit to our online application. These applications have a $25 fee, payable by credit card. All fee waivers have now been awarded and are no longer available.
January 1 - January 31, 2024, for Visual Art and Fiction. All applications accepted via Submittable. Please click the link below to submit to our online application. These applications have a $25 fee, payable by credit card. A limited number of fee waivers are available. To request a waiver, contact the grants administrator at email@example.com during the open submission period.
Applicants will be notified about grant decisions approximately five months after the deadline date.
Please note that as of 2015, we no longer accept snail mail applications, only online applications via Submittable. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you'll grow with us as we move toward a more sustainable application process for all. Good luck! We're excited to read your work.
Link to the Money for Women submission manager:
Links go live at 12:00am EST on January 1 and close at 11:59pm EST on January 31.
Everything you need to know to apply is listed above.